Saturday, January 9, 2010

Well, Where the Hell Have You Been?!

There's a little voice in my head that sounds a lot like my mother, complete with hands on the hips, angry tinge to the words, that has been chastising me for not blogging more.

Where the hell have I been?

I can't tell you. I'm not sure if it's writer's block, a boring life, or just general laziness, but my blogging has definitely slacked off in recent months. I make no excuses...it is what it is... (I hate that phrase sometimes)...

I am indeed still alive, surviving the snow-pocalypse that has covered KC in the (now dingy gray) white stuff. The holidays were weird this year because of the blizzard (we haven't had one of those since the 1800's apparently) that happened on Christmas Eve...I didn't get to join my BFF's Sicilian family for Christmas Eve, my biological family and I are barely on speaking terms (AGAIN!), and my hubby's brother moved to California. All this in one week.

The holidays sucked, quite frankly, unless you count in the factors of my daughter's complete excitement on Christmas (can't we all be 5 yrs old on Christmas morning?), the late night wrapping/bonding my hubby and I did, and the fact that his family, sadly, overcompensates for the crappy way my family treats me. I love my hubby's family and every year I learn more and more that they are my real family (one that may be dysfunctional, but still loves you no matter what, unconditionally).

So, new year, new me...right? I promise to be more faithful in posting and I promise to bring the crazy that I usually do.

That being said, here's some really random thoughts:

1. My husband is an absolute saint. In the last week he has been home 5 days with a VERY BORED 5 year old since school was cancelled, dealt with her boredom while trying to work from home, shoveled more snow than he has had to in the last 3 yrs combined, climbed on the roof to figure out a nasty leak that sealed our front door shut in ice, and has been loving and patient all through it. He deserves a Congressional Medal of Honor for this shit.

My child is so weird. She absolutely freaks out when you refer to the "collar" on her shirt. She is convinced there is another word for it. "Dogs and cats wear 'collars' Mama, not PEOPLE!!!" I've given up convincing her otherwise.

Apparently, conspiracy theory lovers, the Loch Ness Monster is dead. That sucks.

I've been snot-enhanced for the last week and a half because my brother in law brought his sick, snotty kids to our house right before New Year's. Darling caught it and now I have. Thanks a fucking lot.

I sat in a cold drafty museum all day today with absolutely no visitors in 5 hours (I don't blame any one for not wanting to get out in this.) I sent my docent home because I felt guilty she wasn't being paid to be out in this frozen tundra. Despite being completely empty, I heard a door slam and a little child's voice 2 rooms away (singing something somewhat familiar)...real enough for me to check out the house and make sure no one had accidentally wandered in the museum without me knowing. Of course there was no one (still alive) there. Freaky.
I don't like being freaked out.

It's cold here in good ol' KC. I found this website that compares your current temperature to Star Wars climates. Interesting, but who really cares? Also, if you were Luke Skywalker, how long could you survive in a TaunTaun carcass...answer here. Considering the KC Arctic Blast, this info might be handy.

6 comments:

Donna. W said...

It's good to see a new post from you. By the way: best I can tell, all families are dysfunctional in one way or another except for my sister's.
And this weather HAS made it difficult to find something to blog about. Everybody talks about the weather. It's boring, but what else is there right now?

Muser Grace said...

Yay! You're back. I've missed you and your great posts...may January be better than the holidays (I've had my share of crappy Christmases, so I feel your pain...)

Sharon Day said...

Glad you're back. Hope you're well soon. Seems everyone has that cold! I guess this isn't a good time to say it was in the 70s and sunny with a deep blue sky here today? The only time I can brag about the desert. Hee hee

Hyperblogal said...

Welcome back Double M... missed you and your posts. I've been blogging seldom lately too... unmotivated in the extreme.

MGW said...

Ditto on the comment from Donna . . . "families are dysfunctional." I've got the best family in the world, of course, but only because Hubby went out when he was 30 (old enough to know a good family when he saw it) and adopted himself into one. And this is the family we go to Houston to visit every Christmas. My family sucks so bad it would probably make yours look reasonable. Yes, the weather is awful. The museum is undoubtedly haunted. Good husbands are a rare treat and you should hang on for dear life. And your writing has been missed (the panty hose entry made me laugh -- one of my goals in life is NEVER to wear another pair as long as I live). Get well soon and keep posting. MGW

The DLC said...

Everyone goes through blogging dry spells. No guilt!