Friday, March 13, 2009

Retro Gag: Homage to SPAM


Spam is one of the most controversial lunch meats in American History. Love it or hate it, it's an icon. I for one can NOT stand the thought of potted lunchmeat. I just can't do it.

For those of you who do enjoy the occasional Spamwich, this may not be that gross to you, but for me it's horrific. Click on any picture to adjust it to readable size...

First up is Marion Ross' recipe for Mac N Spam...Oh, Mrs. C, I hope you didn't feed this to Richie... (from tvlandforums.com)

Cheesy Macaroni Bake
8-ounce package dry elbow macaroni
1 12-ounce can SPAM
2 tbsp. butter, divided
1 tsp. flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp. dry mustard and pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 cups milk
½ lb. processed sharp American cheese, diced
½ cup dry bread crumbs
1/8 tsp. paprika
Directions
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook macaroni according to package and drain.
Combine macaroni with SPAM in a 2-quart greased casserole dish.
Melt one tbsp. butter in a medium sauce pan. Blend in flour, salt, mustard, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Stir in milk and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils.
Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Pour over SPAM mixture and mix well.
Melt remaining tbsp butter and combine with bread crumbs and paprika. Sprinkle mixture over the top. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.


Continuing the horrors of Spam and Macaroni...from a 1946 Woman's Day Magazine...
Spam and Macaroni Loaf


Oh Jesus God, the layering! The broccoli! Ugh!


Planked Spam (Woman's Day 1945)

Spam, tomatoes and mushrooms, mashed potato rosettes? "You'll be greeted with cheers!" (I think that's a typo for jeers)


Spam Fiesta Peach Cups (Family Circle Feb 1956)

Let me get this straight...ground SPAM, mustard, ketchup and OATS?! You want me to do WHAT with them?


Spam Cake (from Charles Phoenix)
Apparently, Spam Cake is easy! According to Mr. Phoenix, a nice lady at the SPAM Museum told him: "Follow the directions for any white, spice, yellow or devil’s food cake mix, but substitute grated SPAM for the oil."

If you can't handle the idea of frosting a Spam Birthday Cake (and that one above is damn impressive), you can always make the pancake version from this 1957 Betty Crocker Ad:

Ugh...what a wild Spam ride...for once I'm glad that Catholics are required to fast on the Fridays during Lent. Hope you have a great weekend! DO NOT TRY THESE RECIPES AT HOME!

3 comments:

Green-Eyed Momster said...

You are so funny! Don't worry, I won't try the recipes in my home. I can't stand the smell of the stuff. I think the canned dog food smells better than SPAM.

Hugs!!

Beautiful Mess said...

HA! I was thinking the same thing about Lent. "Well she just took care of my appetite!" Thank you Moxie! *shudders* those pictures and recipes make me ill. Have a great weekend and thanks for the laugh.

Sharon Day said...

Chills and shivers...this is scarier than my ghost hunting site. I have to laugh. Just the word "spam" (even when used by computer lingo speakers) still makes me shake. When I was a kid, mom didn't drive, there were five kids, and we lived in a semi-rural area. Dad would go on long business trips, so we'd stock up at the commissary and fill the basement shelves with canned stuff...just in case. You know how if you eat something and throw it up, you can never eat that thing again without the association...spam is like that with me. If mom sent me into the basement for the spam, that meant our supplies were low, and going into a 200+ year old basement in a house that was famously haunted, was horrifying. I would literally run, grab cans, shove them into my shirt, and jog back upstairs. Spam to me has two associations--a desperate supper and a horrifying retrieval. (shivering)