Friday, June 19, 2009

OMG!!! The Return of the Naugies!!!

Do you know what's beautiful about the internet?

The absolute randomness.

If you've read my blog for very long, you know I'm slightly irrational at times. And deathly afraid of certain mythical creatures (gnomes!)

Today I was reading through my Google Reader and found this post on Found In Mom's Basement (a retro-fabulous blog of awesome vintage ads)

In case you're too lazy to click thru/in a hurry/more fascinated by my captivating words, this is what I saw.

That slightly frightening mythical creature is known as a Nauga (yes, as in Naugahyde) and is one of the most fabulous marketing ploys ever created.

I have been searching high and low for one of these and/or a picture of him. I, unfortunately, was google searching "Naughies" instead of "Naugas" and hadn't found one so I could explain to Handsome what they exactly were.

Don't you just want to give him a hug?

To be honest, my first encounter with a Nauga was at my grandparents' house when I was a wee lass. He scared the bejesus out of me until my father made up some total bullshit about them really being very good creatures that generally run in packs like wild dogs and help keep monsters out from under the bed.

(I was like 5 or 6, I had an irrational fear at the time, ok? It's not something I like to talk about and to this day I can't sleep without my feet being covered up).

Yes, my father was the most incredible story teller ever. Either that or I was exceedingly gullible. Both of which are true.

I was still slightly skeptical/afraid of this freakish thing that wasn't like any of my other cute stuffed animals, but Grandma allowed me to bring him home and I put him under my bed.

You know what?

He was very good at keeping monsters out from under the bed.

I kept that little sucker under my bed until I moved out for college.

And then, just as fate brought Naugie into my life, it cruelly swept him away.

My mom gave him to Goodwill.

I was a little upset by this, but time heals all wounds and I'm still on the lookout for one of these treasures (Now that I know it's NaugA and not NaugIE, I'm in business.)

If I could read JAPANESE, I could purchase one here...check out the Nauga-fabulous gallery of adoptables.

Sell!Sell! has a fabulous post about the history of the Nauga and some kick ass vintage goodies. You MUST check it out.

Side note of stupidity if you read the post:

*FOOTNOTE: The Nauga was nearly canned before it got chance to run, but was saved by research - albeit some very on-the-hoof research. The Federal Trade Commission in the US claimed the Nauga might be mistaken for a real-life species, and as such could be deemed deceptive advertising. To prove this was silliness, Lois and staff from his agency went down to Fifth Avenue in New York with the Nuaga advertising and asked passers-by "Is this a real animal?". Not surprisingly, the results showed that good old Joe Public had more sense than he/she was being credit for by the Commission, and the Nauga got to live.


Here is an alternative history of the Naugas complete with conspiracy theory goodness...And I am a sucker for that kind of thing...

Currently, in my office at work I have a green naugahyde chair that is just 70's FABULOUS. It was already in my office when I started working at my current job and it's a vital piece of my work success. Everybody likes to sit in the lap of the Big Green Naugie. Who wouldn't right? Especially on a hot, sweaty summer day!

Have a great weekend and if you find a VINTAGE Nauga, let me know. (The new ones aren't very authentic...)

5 comments:

erin said...

Why is he so cute!?? I don't know why but I'm drawn to his leathery adorableness....

Hyperblogal said...

Naugas are not gone. They are routinely spotted along Cliff Drive using shovels for some undefined purpose.

MGW said...

Clearly I'm not a child of the 80's? when this little devil was popular. But you gave such great history of him (her?) that I now know what I've missed. I love posts like this -- intesting, thorough, and funny. Good job! MGW

Naugies Live said...

Naugies do live! I always thought they were Naugies & not Naugas. I first saw mine at my grandparents home. Grandpa reapolstered furnature in retirement life. I found mine at my parents and broght back many memories.

Anonymous said...

I worked at a furniture company when I was a teenager. I got a roll of this stuff, and made a full size nauga costume fot my kid sister. She went out for holloween and almost had heat stroke.