Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Best Birthday Present I've Ever Received...

I'm sure it should be something more lofty like life or some shit like that, but Handsome got me tickets to Kris Kristofferson who was at the Uptown Theatre last weekend.

Holy shit, friends...A dream come true.

i have a LOOOOONG love affair with Singer/Songwriters and Kris Kristofferson is on my absolute A List....

Harry Chapin, John Denver and John Lennon are dead. It's doubtful I'll ever see Pulp or Simon and Garfunkel in concert so this was my dream come true.

See this pic? Yeah, so...on the most important dream-come-true concert I've ever been to, my fucking camera batteries die...that glowing something-ish thing is Kris Kristofferson.

Let me tell you...

GREATEST CONCERT I'VE EVER BEEN TO...

I don't care if he's 30 years older than me and that I'm happily married...HE'S SMOKIN' HOTTT! He sounds like he did 30 yrs ago...He's poetry out loud...He was horribly sick that night and was blowing his nose in between songs, but he was just fabulous...

I went to the concert with a friend of mine who shares my birthday and is a Kris fan (Handsome was in rehearsal that night, damn it!) One of the first songs in his set was "Me and My Bobby McGee" (yeah, he wrote that, thanks, Janice) and I turn to her and say, "Holy shit. He's singing THAT song!" I was like a crazed teenager at a Jonas Brothers concert. I'm sure she was embarrassed, but it was a curiously stoned crowd. You could tell who were the Highwaymen fans from the true blue Kris Kristofferson fans.

There are SO many songs I wanted him to sing, which he sang quite a few but one hit me REALLY hard..."In The News" was one he wrote about the Laci Peterson/9-11 time and when I first heard it, I was pregnant with Darling. I was SO affected by that song and the idea of someone killing his pregnant wife and throwing her in the ocean. I thought about my own life and how Handsome would hardly let me do anything during my pregnancy (to the point that it got annoying) and just realized how blessed I was. And this was also the time that Precious Doe's identity was discovered. I remember watching it on the news and holding my newborn tightly and crying because I couldn't imagine a mother doing that to her child. Or being ok with someone else doing that to her child. Watch this and tell me you don't cry...I dare you...
On a more historical note, check out Kris' "Jesus Was a Capricorn". I love this song SO MUCH!!!

Jesus was a Capricorn, he ate organic foods.
He believed in love and peace and never wore no shoes.
Long hair, beard and sandals and a funky bunch of friends.
Reckon they'd just nail him up if He come down again.

'Cos everybody's got to have somebody to look down on.
Who they can feel better than at anytime they please.
Someone doin' somethin' dirty, decent folks can frown on.
If you can't find nobody else, then help yourself to me.

Get back, John!

Egg Head's cousin Red Neck's cussin' hippies for their hair.
Others laugh at straights who laugh at freaks who laugh at squares.
Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks who hate the clan.
Most of us hate anything that we don't understand.

'Cos everybody's got to have somebody to look down on.
Who they can feel better than at anytime they please.
Someone doin' somethin' dirty, decent folks can frown on.
If you can't find nobody else, then help yourself to me.

Help yourself, brother.
Help yourself, Gentlemen.
Help yourself Reverend.



There was a scandal in Rolling Stone about Toby Keith and Kris Kristofferson last month and while both parties deny Ethan Hawke's claims of the exchange, loving both artists, I can SO see this happening...

As the daughter of a Vietnam vet, I respect how Kris served his country and then still hates what he had to do. My dad was a Corpsman (Navy equivalent of a medic)and he was the guy on the helicopter deciding who wasn't so far gone that they could be saved and whether the helicopter would lift off the ground...

Anyway...my concert review is 2 enthusiastic thumbs up. Kris is still kickin' ass and taking names...

6 comments:

Donna. W said...

I could kill you out of jealousy. Just kidding, but I'm the biggest KK fan ever. My husband doesn't get it, so I just listen to the songs on my computer and say no more.

Kris makes me want to write songs.

MoxieMamaKC said...

I fell in love with my hubby 15 yrs before I met him when I heard "Loving Her Was Easier Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again"...I didn't want to marry anyone that couldn't sing that song to me...Kris is so dreamy...sigh...

MoxieMamaKC said...

And...AND..."A Moment of Forever"....I melt like an M&M in a little kid's sweaty hand!!

Hyperblogal said...

awesome songs.... absolutely LOVE the second one. What a great experience that concert must have been!!!

Xavier Onassis said...

I think you would have enjoyed the front row table I had at a John Prine cocert at The Uptown many years ago. I know I did.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm so completely jealous of you for this! Kris has been a love of mine ever since my dad introduced me to his music when I was a kid. I have several of his old CDs (including one with Jesus Was A Capricorn!) and I listen to them all the time. I hadn't heard In The News though ... wow.