Friday, April 24, 2009

RetroGag: Scary Stuffed Peppers and Bad Choices with Spaghetti

It's been awhile since I've done a Retro Gag and I think we're overdue...

This week's gems come from the fascinating Mock Duck site. It is a retro-fabulous trip down technicolor gag lane. Check it out. Brave, brave work with the cookbooks of yesteryear...

First on the menu today is this:

I don't know what that little girl is so damn excited about. It seems like an innocent enough picture if you can get past Suzy's Joy of Cooking euphoria. Nutrious (but canned) veggies, pudding with ill placed cherries, I'm even moderately ok with the spaghetti, but I'd like someone to please explain WTF are those hockey puck looking things gracefully lining the spaghetti dish. Those aren't meatballs, kids, and I'm afraid to ask.

MYSTERY LOAF
Tell me this doesn't look like a ham loaf at first glance. It looks like ham, pimentos and cherries to me. That makes me ill to my stomach. Apparently, it's less nefarious, but oddly fruitcake.
Here's the recipe:

"Frozen Fruit Salad -- luscious! Fruit cocktail, cherries, and marshmallows polka-dot this rich delicious salad-dessert. For pretty slices, freeze in round freezer cartons."

Well, it's not as bad as I thought, but still...

Double Gag Whammy
First direct your eyes to the top right corner of this picture (I know, it hurts, doesn't it). I'm a huge fan of Stuffed Peppers. I make kick ass peppers. Probably not as good as Meesha's, but my Sloppy Joe Peppers are rather delish. I am not a tremendous fan of baked beans, but that has to be the most disgusting/lazy/bland display of pepper stuffing I've ever seen.

Ok, let's talk about that pizza. I'm pretty sure that the old adage: "Pizza is like sex, even when it's bad, it's worth the effort" is blown to smithereens with this one. If Handsome tried to pull off "Pizza topped with canned spaghetti and a lattice of anchovy fillets and processed cheese" he'd be sleeping on the couch. That isn't pizza, that's the overspilled bowels of a night of bad culinary decisions. The green olives are that final touch. They accent the dead fish so well.

Last but not least, I saw this over on Strollerderby this week and while it's not a true retro-gag, the ghosts of 1950's moms everywhere will be nodding their heads and clapping in delight...

Spaghetti Dogs



Truly, words fail me. If I served this to my Darling, she'd be sleeping in our bed for a week after the Octopus Hot Dog Monster dreams she's sure to have. I wouldn't blame her. Hell, I might have nightmares about this anyway...

Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

6 comments:

kcmeesha said...

how do you lace hotdogs with spaghetti? looks like a lot of work

MoxieMamaKC said...

Before you cook/boil them, you poke the dry spaghetti noodles into them...gross.

Hyperblogal said...

Okay, out of touch me was thinking fiber optic cables before I got to octopus in the caption. ACK

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Have a great weekend!! I still have nightmares about stuffed bell peppers. When my kids complain about what I've made them for dinner, I remind them what I had to eat. I'll never make them eat Liver and Onions, Stuffed Bell Peppers or Tuna Helper.
I don't know, the spaghetti dogs look pretty good, maybe because I had to eat things that tasted like you-know-what!
My only dilemma would be Ketchup or spaghetti sauce on those dogs????
Hmmmmm....

Hugs!!

Housewife Savant said...

That's it.
I'm in.

You're on my sidebar.
It's THAT disgusting.

Thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

I don't really see how it's that disgusting...kids put hot dog slices in things like macaroni and cheese all the time, why not spaghetti?