Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The 2012 Conspiracy Theory...


It's been awhile since I've waxed poetic on my Newest Favoritest Conspiracy Theory. It's an ever changing fascination with alarmists, plotters and crazies. Give me your Lincolns, your JFKs, your Area 51s, it's all good.

My obsession with the absurd but sometimes scarily semi-plausible, began when I was about 8 yrs old or so and would sneak out of bed, sit at the top of the stairs, totally hidden but at the perfect angle to see/hear the tv when my parents were watching these shows. I would literally quake with fear in my bed.

Nothing, but nothing, honestly scares the conspirator crap out of me like 2012.

Even the History Channel is in on it with their Armageddon Week which was earlier this month. (Nice timing, guys, way to make people feel all warm, hopeful and fuzzy in the new year).

If you're unfamiliar with it all, go take the penny tour at Wikipedia.

Everyone from the Maya, to the Aztecs to the Egyptians and Nostradamus say we're screwed. The world will come to an end on Dec. 21, 2012...apparently.

What I appreciate most about this theory is the scope of different ways that it will come about. Some say nuclear war, some say the magnetic poles are going to shift, some say flu/biological warfare, the possibilities are endless, really.

This reminds me of all the hoopla leading up to Y2K (remember that?) There's even this guy, who is probably legitimately making money on this fear. Fear not, though, Obama has been given notice to save all of humanity.

Thankfully, it may not be left up to him alone. Clinton, over at Zombie Eats Shark has probably the funniest and best ways to save us using simple logic. Take a trip through his break down of the Apocalypse. It's freakin' hilarious. But I guess it's good to keep your sense of humor in the face of impending doom, right?

My personal favorite is his answer for religious apocalypse...

7 comments:

May said...

Probably because of having to live through the stoopidity of Y2K, I am already so freaking tired of people saying the world's ending in 2012. Bleh... that's one conspiracy theory that does nothing for me.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I hear a lot about this at work because I am in the line of business where I deal with hippies and I take everything I hear with a grain of salt but it sure makes me think....
I think we'll all be fine. I sure as hell hope so but I was watching the History channel shows too and I wonder....
I'm choosing not to believe any of it today. Tomorrow might be a different story since I still have lanterns in their original packaging from the Y2K scare. All of the food, water and other supplies have been used!! LOL!!

Hugs!!

Xavier Onassis said...

OK, here is the deal with the Aztec calendar. They handed a guy a big round rock and said "Make us a calendar that starts with the creation of the world and take it as far as you can."

He made it to 2012 and he ran out of rock.

The Aztecs said "That's good. That should hold us for a while. Hey Steve! Make a note...somebody needs to start working on a new calendar in 2011."

Hyperblogal said...

That's about right. I will have just paid off the car.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

HA! I love Xavier Onassis's take on it.

Clinton said...

Thanks for the linkage, yo! I owe you one boon.

(oh and it's Zombie FIGHTS Shark... the zombie only eats the shark when the battle is done, but it's a battle that rages on to this day)

Stacey K said...

My birthday is Dec. 21. Maybe I should have one heck of party that year.