Monday, June 30, 2008

Never piss off historians...




Especially if you're trying to get elected. Remember who writes the history books for the winners?

I was really kind of surprised at this story.

What was Obama thinking? What a horrible slip up. Obama's handlers should be spanked for not having him visit the library and Truman's grave.

In a time of political change, calling on the plucky spirit of "Give 'em Hell, Harry" could have and should have been on the agenda. If I were the library people, I'd be ticked too.

What was more important than visiting/giving your respects at a former president's grave? Let's be honest. There's only 3 things Independence, MO is known for:

1. The Oregon-Santa Fe Trails
2. Harry Truman
3. Crystal Meth

So, if it wasn't #2 that was so interesting, what was more important, Mr. Presidential Hopeful? (Let the conspiracy theories begin...)

I want to like Obama. Why? It's easy (almost too easy) to kick McCain, I want changes in our government and I certainly wasn't a Hillary supporter. But he certainly didn't win brownie points with me today. Especially since he was supposedly defending his patriotism. Snub a former president, a Democrat at that. That'll show 'em!

Can we resurrect Truman? He didn't give a crap if his politics were popular or not, he just did the right thing to make his country a better place to live. That sort of seems more patriotic to me than just wearing (or not wearing) a flag pin and giving speeches.

I'm just saying...

Here's some of my favorite Harry quotes:

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.”

"I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."

“The 'C' students run the world.”

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

"I wonder how far Moses would have gone if he'd taken a poll in Egypt? What would Jesus Christ have preached if he'd had taken a poll in Israel? Where would the Reformation have gone if Martin Luther had taken a poll? It isn't polls or public opinion of the moment that counts. It is right and wrong and leadership--- men with fortitude and honesty, and a belief in the right that makes epochs in the history of the world".

"It's not the hand that signs the laws that holds the destiny of America. It's the hand that casts the ballot."

3 comments:

kcmeesha said...

I am reading a book about CIA, not a conspiracy - just a historic overview and all of the modern history including Truman's presidency comes out in a totally different light. And it's not a good light.

MoxieMamaKC said...

Ooohh..what are you reading? I'm curious what they had to say about Truman. He wasn't always popular, but I honestly have always thought he was well intentioned. I need to read "Truman" by David McCollough but it's still in my stack.

kcmeesha said...

I am reading Legacy of Ashes, it talks about how CIA influenced the current state of the world affairs with or without the presidents' knowledge. I am sure it's biased but doesn't seem too outrageous.