Monday, December 1, 2008

BEST Christmas Present EVER ~ Part 1


So, Darling really "gets" Christmas this year. She's already talking about Santa and if I watch "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" one more time I'm going to puke (though it's an enjoyable respite in some respects from the usual Curious George-athon at our house). I'm actually really excited since we're going to have copious Family Fun this season (Crown Center/Union Station, here we come!)

This year, more than any other year, as the best mom I can be, I've got to create a little Christmas magic. She's already locked and loaded, firing off things she wants for Christmas (My Little Ponies and Barbie Diamond Castle is top of the list). Damn consumerism (said in my crotchy, cranky old fart voice)...So as every good mom, I hit the ads and search for her material dreams come true.

Which got me to thinking about a *wow* gift. I'm horrible about picking these out, but thank God Handsome is the master at choosing the *perfect* gift/card/flowers/anything. I've accused him of working secretly at Hallmark before because he can always find a card that EXACTLY states what sentiment it needs to...anyway...I digress....

I thought about all of the REALLY cool Christmas gifts I got as a kid....


You know the one on your list that you really really wanted Santa to bring....so, until Christmas approaches, I think I'll periodically post "BEST Christmas Gift EVER" posts.

I'll start with the year I was in second grade (circa 1984). I wanted my very first Cabbage Patch Kid. It seemed like EVERY girl in my class already had one and that was all I really really wanted that year. So, Christmas Eve was particularly sleepless for me. Cabbages, not sugar plums danced in my dreams.

So, on Christmas morning, my siblings and I race down the stairs, tear into all our presents and while I got a lot of really neat, but now forgettable stuff, ... after there appeared to be nothing else left to open, my eyes started welling up with tears. I was SO sure Santa was going to bring me a Cabbage Patch doll...I just knew it. I wrote him such a great letter, how could that jerk refuse me?!?

But she wasn't there.

I sat, sadly under the twinkling lights of the tree and my Dad asked me if I liked everything I got.

I told him yes, it was all really great.

He told me I looked sad, and that's when I think the tears started flowing. I told him I had really wanted a CPK doll. He asked me if I was sure that I didn't get one.


I told him that I had opened everything already. He told me I should look under the tree a little closer.

That year our tree was in front of the staircase leading to our downstairs living room. The tree was placed in the corner and blocked a little door under the stairs.

When I looked under the tree again, I noticed the door was slightly ajar. You wouldn't have been able to see this unless you were literally under the tree. Suddenly, excited, I dove under the tree (almost knocking it over...nice catch, Dad) and opened the little door and there she was....

Allison...

a blue eyed Preemie Cabbage Patch Kid.

Even though she was the first in the line of about 10 CPK's in my life...

well, if you were a little girl in the '80's, you'll always remember your first.....

I still have Allison and I love seeing Darling play with her now....

Many years later, I found out how my father had braved a blizzard (he was exaggerating) and searched and searched, well into Christmas Eve for Allison.

It was the Cabbage Patch Quest of '84...

CPK's were THE big thing that Christmas and he went to at least 8 different stores searching for her so his little girl wouldn't be disappointed on Christmas morning.....

I don't think that ever really sunk in until I became a parent.

So, there it is Part One....I need a kleenex...stay tuned for more.

3 comments:

Donna. W said...

Oh, I recall when you could hardly find a cabbage patch kid! My daughter (born in 1969) was pretty much past the doll stage when all that came around, although I did get her a home-made doll that looked a lot like CPK, just because everybody had them.

Dawn said...

OMG that's so cute. My fave gift was a HUGE Barbie doll house complete with elevator.

Melissa said...

I was one of those parents searching for CPK's that year. I finally got a boy one; his name was Curtis Neal and he had a blue outfit on. I stood in line at JC Penney's for hours to get him and I paid over $100 for him!! Ridiculous, but I didn't want a scent under my tree like your parents had!!

He was the first of many that I bought, and the prices came down significantly, thank goodness! I even made some homemade ones. I still love the CPk'S today.