Tuesday, December 23, 2008

BEST Christmas Present EVER! Part 5....

This is dedicated to my handsome hubby....

So, Christmas, 1996....I had been dating Handsome for a few months and we were on Christmas Break. I didn't actually get to see him on Christmas. But of course I got the "Oh my God, I miss you so much, Merry Christmas, I love you!" call that night as I spent it with my family, but missing my new hot boyfriend so much!

We actually got to see each other the day after New Year's. My family had never met him at this point and he drove up from Possum Holler to be my date at a wedding that was to be held right after New Year's. We were to exchange presents at this time. So, Handsome experienced his first forray into my family (God help him) and after asking him repeatedly what he wanted for Christmas, he told me "Whatever, it doesn't matter". Well, knowing he was a music major, at that time, I got him some CD's of classical music. (I'm the crappiest gift giver, I know, but he liked them.)

What he got me turned into a family heirloom. He bought me this beautiful statue of the Holy Family that was actually a San Fransico Music Box Company music box that plays "O Holy Night" which he didn't even know was my favorite all time Christmas hymn. (If you want the PERFECT gift/card, expect it from Handsome, he has a sixth sense of the perfect thing to get people. I'm kinda jealous of this talent).

At some of the hardest times over the last 12 years, I've pulled that music box/statue down and wound it up and listened to it's song. In a lot of ways, every time I hear it play, I hear his beautiful voice singing that song (and he doesn't cop out on the challenging notes like Josh Grobin. Handsome is hardcore Michael Crawford style with that song) It's like a choir of angels. He's that good!

I'm never really able to put that statue/music box away after Christmas, I'm not sure why...

0 comments: