Monday, December 15, 2008

Taking Kruschev's Shoe a little too far


Everyone knows some Iraqi d-bag reporter threw a shoe at soon-to-be ex-President Bush.

The first thing I thought about was "Where's the Secret Service?!" Seriously? The jerk threw not one, but two shoes before he was subdued. I would hope the Secret Service would be a little more on their toes when the Prez is in a part of the world where there's a darn good chance of someone trying to do something to him.

Don't get me wrong, Bush could probably use a couple of whacks upside the head, but the incident was a scary reminder how easy it is to assassinate a public figure. What if the guy somehow snuck in a gun? I don't even want to think about that.

I've never been a fan of President Bush (either one) but it kind of gets my patriotism in a knot by the fact that a d-bag from another country showed such disrespect for our "leader". (Yes, I know, we pulled Saddam out of a spider hole and pretty much handed him over to his death, but at least Bush hasn't killed off thousands of American citizens just because they didn't agree with him.)

I don't care what his background was, he had no right to do that. As a journalist, he needs to report, not use his accessories as weapons.

KCBlueBlog says it better than me...

Can you imagine the international uproar that would be caused if Bill O'Reilly threw a shoe at Hugo Chavez?

3 comments:

kcmeesha said...

I am sure he threw the shoes because that's all he could pass through the metal detector. Not a bog deal.

Stacey K said...

It's kinda the thing to hate American's right now, so yeah it would have been a bigger deal in your scenario.

Lots of thing that can kill will get through metal detectors and there are lots of ways around metal detectors, so it could be a big deal.

SmedRock said...

At the risk of looking like an ass more than I usually do.

Not looking at it from the Iraqi point of view. We did manage to bomb that country back into the stone age. Saddam was a monster no doubt, but the power was on, and Iranians were not crossing the border to blow up coffee shops. The 8 years prior to that kinda took the fight out of them.

And I served under his father in the army. SO go figure. But I can see the reporters angst.

You are right about the Secret Service though, WTF?