Monday, December 15, 2008

I didn't know Santa was an architect and an interior designer...

OR:

What the HELL did we get ourselves into?

Sorry that all has been quiet on the Moxie front the last couple of weeks. Things have kind of been busy. I might post pics of our shenanigans, I might not get that far.

Now that most of the Holiday Have to Do's for work/Darling/theatre/museum is over, Handsome and I can concentrate on Christmas for Darling.

I had the brilliant idea of building her a dollhouse for her really big Christmas gift.

Stupid.
Stupid.
Stupid me.

This has turned into the Project from Christmas Hell.

Handsome, being handy dandy as he is, decided to say screw it to the snap together flimsy kits, he's building this bad boy from scratch.

First, he downloaded plans from the internet of something we kind of liked.

Then my mom, who was supposed to take Darling last weekend so Handsome could morph the Man Cave into Santa's Workshop, bailed on us.

It's 10 days til Christmas and nary a board has been cut.

How Handsome is supposed to accomplish this magical feat of getting this built before Christmas morning? I don't know. She's always there when he's there and he refuses to go to an alternate location to build it.

This is nearly impossible. Even the lady at the dollhouse supply store was dubious of whether it can be done. Apparently building one from scratch is hard or something.

I wonder if Ty Pennington would swoop in and pull off an Extreme Home Makeover: Dollhouse Edition if we asked?

Darling is going to love the dollhouse. We have one at the museum that is "playable" and she begs to go play with it. When I was a girl, my dad built all 3 of us girls and our mom dollhouses from those pre-fab cutout kits. They are all gingerbread and spindly stairs; beautiful, but not play-sturdy. More of the collector of trinkets kind.

I'm sure it will get done. Handsome and I are both great under pressure. I'm just freaking at a Christmas Def-Con Level 5 today.

sigh...

9 comments:

Nuke said...

Dang, all I can really say is good luck!

Stacey K said...

Good Luck!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you finish it! It's a very cool thought at least.

I've fallen victim to the "no sweat, I can do that"

Beautiful Mess said...

My parents bought Nae one of those dollhouses, the collector ones, and it was horrible! She broke it in a few days and didn't even mean to. Sad. Good luck with the dollhouse, your doing the right thing. She will LOVE it! Post pics when it's done, I'd love to see it!
hugs,
-D

Dawn said...

um...wow...good luck.

Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Relax.... Darling doesn't actually KNOW your plans... easily modified at the last moment by a trip to the toy store.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

When you're done with her house, can you build us a new one? We need one bad!!!

Seriously, good luck!

I'm sure it'll be great when it's finished. If I see Ty, I'll send him your way!!

Hugs!!

Pete Dulin said...

PresentMagazine.com is putting together Top 10 Lists for the year including Top 10 local blogs. Care to submit a list to us? Also, would you be willing to post a call for submissions? We'd like to hear from as many local bloggers as possible about what blogs they're following and would recommend. Responses can be sent to us via email - present@presentmagazine.com - no later than December 21.

Thanks,
Pete and Pam

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! I hope the holidays are wonderful for you!

Anti-Supermom said...

If it were me, I'd scrape the whole thing and buy her the Barbie deluxe model...

Way to go on making the house though, I'm certain she will love all the extra work ;) We expect pictures when all is said and done.

Thanks for the bloggy visit~