Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving came late this year and we didn't even know it

Oh. Hai! It's you, Internet! Guess what I've been doing since Friday?

A big, fat NOTHING. I didn't even get out of my pjs (except to bathe) from Thursday night until Sunday afternoon.

You don't know me IRL, so the amazingness of this is lost on you. One of my personality flaws, besides not being able to play well with others that I can't stand, is the flaw of not being able to sit still very well. I'm always busy, I always take on more than I can handle and I thrive on stress. I'm crazy like that.

So 3 days of doing nothing was an amazing feat.

I had to actually put on real clothes Sunday afternoon to go up to the museum for a meeting, and as a surprise, Handsome got home around the same time and Darling was still out/being babysat by her aunt.

This afforded Handsome and I the opportunity to have a candlelit dinner of leftovers. It was really nice not to be trying to force Darling to "eat just a little more" or "be brave and try new foods" It was lovely grown up time.

So, I'm thankful for that.

I'm also thankful for being able to go up to visit my Grandpa on Thanksgiving. None of my family was going up to see him that day (they were coming on the weekend) and I wasn't invited to my parents' house (big fat long story there) so I'm glad he wasn't alone and got to spend time with me, Handsome and his only great-grandchild. Darling adores him and thinks he's just the bee's knees. Which, objectively speaking, he is.

I'm also thankful I didn't screw up my first attempt at cooking an entire turkey. Never in 31 years of life has life required me to cook one and that's just not something I was willing to try unless I had to. But I did it! YAY!

Know what I'm SUPER-EXTRA-ESPECIALLY thankful for?


This morning at Handsome's work, 12 people (of around 32) were laid off.

Handsome was not one of them, praise God, Jesus and fluffy bunnies.

Thank God.

I'm sorry for all of the employees that lost their jobs, but I can't even tell you how thankful I am that Handsome wasn't among them. I promise to quit bitching about money for the rest of the week.

Handsome works in the corporate offices of an internet company in a "recession-proof" industry. The economy is getting really scary. His department was literally cut by 2/3. Thankfully, Handsome shares my industrious nature and has been a top performer in his department.

I was scared to death first quarter this year about being laid off when the axes were falling at my job. Marketing departments are notorious for being the first to go. I survived, thankfully (yet again).

I hope you had a great extended weekend and a happier Monday, filled with less drama than my Monday seems to contain.

2 comments:

kcmeesha said...

I am writing this at the end of a four-day weekend and I think I managed to do nothing for the most part. Feels great.
Congrats on keeping your and your husband's jobs.
Uninvited to your own parents' house? I gotta read this story

Stacey K said...

I'm happy that you and hubbie stayed among the employed. It's rough out there for a lot of people.

I understand the thriving on stress thing. Stress and chaos are my bread and butter. Sadly most of the people in my family thrive on order and calmness.