Saturday, October 4, 2008

Lay Down Your Head, (for) Nick Reynolds

I am profoundly depressed over the death of Nick Reynolds of the Kingston Trio. Their music was the voice of my childhood and one of the most incredible concerts I've ever been to was June 2006 in Columbia to see The Trio play. I probably freaked them out that a 20 something girl was gushing THAT much over them (and singing every word to every song they played). I was in bliss. Don't even ask me how hard I cried the day John Denver died or how I'll feel when Kris Kristofferson, Peter Yarrow, Paul Stuke, Mary Travers, Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, Don MacLean, Judy Collins or Joan Baez die. I don't even want to think about. But I'm so sorry it's Nick tonight. His harmonies were so beautiful and pure.

This week a little bit of the song died away. Rest in peace, my troubadour of folk...say hi to John Denver for me in Heaven!
(Minute 1:49 they get into the song you never knew they wrote. You might recognize it...)


This is even better...thanks Smothers Brothers!


I play a bongo for you tonight, sleep well, brother...

1 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I totally understand! I'm only 30 and people think I'm nuts b/c I love Dylan, Kristofferson, Baez, and lots of those you mentioned. I'm still a fan of the old country singers too - Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Ray Price, etc.

I knew the music of the Kingston Trio but not much about the members - it's so sad to lose great musicians though.

Thanks for sharing this - I enjoyed their music and will mourn along with you.