Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembering Not Just the Veterans


I think it's pretty well established that I love me some veterans. If I didn't make it by your blog and wish you a happy Veteran's Day, well, consider this a big hug and a sloppy kiss from Moxie.

I've had direct family members fight in every single war from the American Revolution until the War In Iraq. (Bless you, my sweet cousin. Stay safe and come home soon!) Unless you count the 1st Gulf War and the French and Indian War. (But who really counts the F & I?)

Thank you Veterans for all you do and have done!!!!

But there's sad anniversary this week too...

Maybe you remember it from history class: Kristallnacht or the Night of Broken Glass.

70 yrs ago...the true warning signs that Germany (Hitler) may not be all Ayran sunshine and roses. Kristallnacht was something that was so horrible that it's hard for me as a Roman Catholic Anglo-American to even comprehend.

It should have been a warning sign to Europe, to us.

For anyone who doesn't think the American government shouldn't be concerned about the rest of the world, remember Woodrow Wilson, his Isolationism theory and how many Jews died because we turned a blind eye.

Yes, James Monroe, you may have sucked as a president, but I still believe in keeping the world safe for democracy.

I don't like war. I don't like how we've handled ourselves in the world since George Bush (pick one) took office. I'm so thankful that there is a new America being born right now. I pray for peace.

God bless our veterans, the ones who didn't survive that long to earn that title and the people of the world they have protected.

1 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

thanks for pointing this out - the Holocaust is just horrifing to me, the fact that people just let it happen - but unfortunately we're doing it again by ignoring what's going on in Darfur - I posted a bit about it a few days ago, but it's not enough ...