Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Not My Fantasy, Boys


It's that time of year again.

*sigh*

Happy Fantasy Football Drafting Time, kids.

I'm not a big football fan. I went to my first Chiefs game last December, courtesy of one of my radio ad reps (alike I was going to spend that much of my own money to see something I could potentially hate).

I spent most of the game huddled in their suite, shivering, watching the game on tv. I only ventured outside to the actual seats a couple of times and only until I couldn't feel my feet anymore. Needless to say, I was less than really super impressed, but I was trying to figure out what the big deal is with football.

I'm a sporty kind of gal. Baseball/softball, swimming, diving, soccer, volleyball, tennis...Hell, I even love hockey. I'll play/watch pretty much everything.

But I just don't like football. It's boring to me and I just don't like it. (Except the Superbowl which is like the Oscars of the advertising world.)

Even more perplexing to me is Fantasy Football. I don't even begin to try to understand it. All I know is that it has invaded my work and home life.

In an effort of team-building (male bonding), my work has a Fantasy Football League. I designed the logo, and other miscellaneous signs, trophies, etc. but refuse to play. I didn't mind doing that work, but I'm tired of it being the only talk in the hallways.

Last night it was even worse. Handsome's workplace also has a FF League. Yesterday was Draft Day. As we were driving home from picking up Darling from daycare, he was on the phone talking about his picks. When we got home, he bee-lined for his Man Cave/laptop and Darling and I ended up kicking back, watching some Noggin while "Daddy played his game."

Handsome emerged a little later and we had a perfectly lovely evening. I guess the pressure is on, since he was first in his league last year. I can't wait to start tuning out/acting really interested/being supportive of his imaginary showmanship on Sundays/Mondays when he starts talking about his standings in his League.

Is it February yet?

2 comments:

Hey There! I'm Amanda! said...

HA! Moxie, I couldn't have said it better. I have taken the "if you can't beat em join em" mentality on football Sundays. It gives me a reason to make buffalo wings. And chili cheese fries. And the Fantasy Football thing reduces the amount of time he spends playing grab-ass with me when I am trying to get shit done. So it's a win-win all the way around.

MoxieMamaKC said...

I wonder if a study has been done on the decline in conception rates during FF season? Someone should do that. I personally can think of a better way of spending a Sunday afternoon than watching football/hooked up to the live stream on the laptop. But, hey, I'm game for any reason to make chili cheese fries!