Monday, August 4, 2008

Weekend Shenanigans

In case you didn't notice (or weren't in KC), it was hotter than a whorehouse on nickel night last weekend. Not a good weekend to do much of anything but stay in an air conditioned cocoon. Nevertheless, it was a busy one for the Moxie household.

Friday night was a family night so Handsome, Darling and I hung out in the inflatable pool and splashed around. Saturday I got a TON of projects on my To-Do List accomplished (yay me!). Darling went for her first sleep over/camp out with a friend (They camped in the living room)and had a great time.

Saturday night, Handsome had some work to catch up on and I met up with one of my best friends and her significant other for dinner/drinks at Lew's. We got into a bizarre conversation with this totally drunk guy who befriended us about how the Native Americans were the first Communists (Don't ask me, I can't explain his theory.)

Anywho, after we left Crazy Guy at the bar, I headed up to the museum. It wasn't my weekend to work, but I'm the official Paranormal Wrangler for the museum and we had a group that wanted to come in and investigate. I'm the only one who isn't scared to be there after dark by myself, so it usually falls to me. I don't mind, it's really pretty interesting. And I get paid to be there. Bonus.

We started letting groups come in about 2 years ago and have noticed a lot of visitors who come to the museum just because they read the investigation reports on the various paranormal websites. Free advertising = good.

Is it haunted? Yes. A lot of crazy shit happened there before it was a museum and I myself have had some very freaky sightings/experiences. I usually don't believe a lot of stories I hear from other people, but like I attract weirdos, I seem to attract ghosts too. I've had several sightings/experiences in my life so that I totally believe in them. So, no making fun of me because I'm weird. (I'm already planning on blogging a few of my encounters during October. Ghost stories with Moxie, so stay tuned.)

Anyway, if you ever have the opportunity to go on a paranormal investigation, do it. It's sort of fun. Unfortunately, don't expect it to be like Ghost Hunters. It's not. It's a lot of sitting around in the dark with electronics. If cool stuff happens, you don't know about it until they go back through their tapes/photos.

The freakiest that I've been a part of was an EVP that was caught in a part of the museum that always creeps me out. On the tape you hear me and and the investigator guy just talking and then right over us, you can hear very clearly: "Get out. Get out!"

Had I really heard that before listening back to the tape, I would have freaked!

This investigation was no different. We'll have to wait and see if they find anything. Only thing that was really visible was a hanging lamp that moved on it's own, but nothing being hurled at us or anything. I'm convinced cool shit like that only happens on tv.

I'm always really amazed by how non-believing a lot of investigators are. They are very technical in their work, and only once has a group brought a psychic (who by the way was totally the real deal. She talked about stuff that even we, the museum staff had to look up to confirm.)

This group was a bunch of really awesome people. I genuinely liked them. Some groups are not that cool. They are either really weird or just a bunch of people who have no idea what they're doing.

I've become really good at separating the real from the BS when it comes to these guys. So, if you've got a haunting, let me know. I can definitely recommend a great group that will do it for free.

I didn't get home until super late Saturday night, so Sunday, after retrieving my child from her sleepover, I just lounged, did laundry and watched Mad Men.

Such was my so-called life this weekend.

3 comments:

kcmeesha said...

sounds like a lot of groping in the dark, it's not so "para"normal

Brigindo said...

Oh now I am so looking forward to October. I love a good ghost story, especially if they're first hand experiences.

Sounds like a fun weekend even with the heat. BTW, does it get cold the sightings?

MoxieMamaKC said...

I've never really noticed if it gets cold, I usually already have the chills! Usually if something happens, it happens so fast you don't even realize it until it's gone...