Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday Pancakes?


Today is Fat Tuesday (day before Ash Wednesday, start of Lent). Apparently you eat pancakes as a tradition on Fat Tuesday.

I'm a cradle Catholic and I've never heard of this.

Is it a regional thing? How have I missed this until now?

Growing up, we had a traditional feast of pizza, chocolate, chips and soda (the usual things we'd give up for the next 40 days and nights).

Oh well, who cares...it's a great excuse to make something super easy for dinner, and who doesn't love pancakes?

Here's a great link to a link filled with fabulous pancake recipes in case you're inspired to take the easy way out tonight, too.

I think I'll make chocolate chip and apple cinnamon ones...no fancy recipe, I'm sure you can figure it out with a box of Hungry Jack if you use your imagination.

Since it's the day before Lent starts, I guess I should figure out what I'm giving up/doing extra for the next 40 days. Thanks for the reminder, Logtar!

8 comments:

Hyperblogal said...

Fat Tuesday is also Shrove Tuesday and that's the name by which the pancake race is known... At my daughter's grade school the Knights of Columbus always had a Shrove Tuesday Pancake Breakfast before the start of school. So it's been around for a while. I'm giving up dating starlets for Lent.... at least it's a promise I can keep.

Beautiful Mess said...

Pancakes?! I had no idea. I wish I had read this before I made dinner. Pancakes would have been a lot easier then the mess I made with the fajitas. I usually give up chocolate, soda, and/or fast food. I haven't figured what it's going to be this year.

Sarahviz said...

Mmmmm...pancakes! Now I'm craving them!

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I think you should still have a hot dog on opening day.
I hear that God is a forgiving God and he made baseball and hot dogs because they go so well together, right? Have some pancakes for me too!
Thanks for your comment...Ahhhh family! ;)

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Fat Tuesday pancakes either. Sounds like a great idea to me.

I think I'm going to give up five of the extra pounds I gained this winter for Lent. That means no more good food - nasty rice cakes here I come.

Unknown said...

I still have not had beef today, but I have not figured out what I am giving up yet!

Cris said...

Your life isn't complete without fat tuesday.

Terrence said...

I enjoyed reeading your post