Wednesday, April 30, 2008

No Fuss Gus-less



This is going to suck, and I mean BAD. We're making history tonight in the Moxie household . . .

Darling's taking a bath right now, by 8 pm she'll be off to bed. I anticipate all hell breaking loose around 8:05. Why? For the first night in 3.5 years, she's going to bed without her BFF, No Fuss Gus.

Why? Because her babysitter left my child's favorite-can't-live-without lovey in a bank in Kansas. Yep, Babysitter of the Year just struck out. I don't mind Darling running errands with her, but seriously, that's it.

Sounds harsh? Nope. Gus is a member of our family. He's in family photos, he's endured countless surgeries, being dropped in a toilet, ran over with shopping carts, and dog attacks. He's tough, but I expect my daughter to come home in one piece and with her best friend.

When Handsome went to pick Darling up tonight and explained Gus being MIA, Darling burst into tears. She got home and couldn't poop because she HAS to have Gus (why, I don't know) in order to do the deed. She cried again and keeps asking where he is. I explain he's having an adventure sleep over with the bank tellers and enjoying all the lollipops he can eat but she's still upset.

Yes I know she's 3 and a half (4 in August) and shouldn't be so attached to a stuffed animal she's loved since she was 3 months old, but, childhood is hard enough, enjoy the comfort from wherever you can get it. Gus is only a necessity for sleeping, pooping and travelling. It's not like he's going to kindergarten with her. I refuse to limit her lovey time.

So, that's it. If Gus doesn't come home in one piece tomorrow there's going to be hell to pay. In the meantime, while she's screaming tonight, I'm frantically searching Ebay for a replacement. Gus is a Kohl's Cares For Kids stuffed animal and wouldn't ya know, he went out of circulation back in Aught Four.

Lucky me.

Even if I find a replacement, it's never going to be the same. His fur is worn away in patches, his plastic eyes have cataracts from being scuffed in the dryer a thousand times and I've sewed his teethed on/chewed paws so many times, I'm just sewing imagination at this point. Darling will spot the ringer in two seconds flat. Smart my kid is.

I can't wait for 2 am! It's gonna be fun!

3 comments:

Hey There! I'm Amanda! said...

Oh, boy. Good luck with that one. Liv's Pocahontis sleeping bag got secretly tossed when it was way too gross to even look at. Tears were shed in buckets that week. We eventually got her a new blanket but man, it was BAD.

Hey There! I'm Amanda! said...

I spelled Pocahontas wrong, didn't I? Sorry History Major Lady. My bad.

MoxieMamaKC said...

It's all good! She's actually a distant relation of mine, but I take no offense... :0)