Monday, April 28, 2008

Stick with what you know . . .


I made a major mistake last week. I've been wearing Revlon Colorstay makeup for over 5 years. It's served me well. Never had any problems.

In a hurried rush to the spackle dispensing station last week, I discovered they were out of it. Irritated by this, I decided to try something new. I had great success with my discovery of Almay's liquid eyeliner last fall when Beauty Brands was out of my regular stuff, so maybe I can deal with this.

I roam down the rest of the Revlon display and pick out my color in their Clear Complexion line. Not that I have had a lot of problems with breakouts, but I thought with the warmer weather coming, it might be good to try a lighter foundation.

One week later, this shit is making my face break out like it hasn't done since I was a teenager. What the hell? Isn't this supposed to stop break outs? Ironic that it CAUSED them, funny? NO! I hate this.

At 31, I am too old for a Teenage Renaissance.

I can't help but want to kick myself for not just going to another store and finding my standby. I was in a hurry and didn't think it would be such a big deal. Those dangerous little words came creeping into my head, "When in doubt, stick with what you know..."

I consider myself a semi-adventurous person when it comes to trying new things. I'll be first in line to try a new restaurant or a new store. I never limit myself to "genres". I'll read just about any kind of book. I'm eclectic in my musical tastes, I'll even buy a pair of shoes that I might never wear just because they're "different". I seriously will try anything (almost anything) once.

This being said, there are certain things that I am utterly dedicated to as a consumer. Most of the following list is based on bad past experiences. Obviously, my liquid foundation needs to be on this list.

Moxie's list of Must Haves, NO Substitutes Accepted:
Gate's Original Barbecue sauce in the bottle
Pantene Pro-V Sheer Volume Shampoo/Conditioner and Hair Spray
Quik Trip Gasoline
Hellman's Real Mayonnaise
My great grandmother's German Potato Salad recipe
Huggies Diapers (Thank God Darling's way out of this stage)
Home Depot Lawn and Leaf Paper Bags
Cottonelle Toilet Paper
Political opinions based on The Daily Show (hee hee, I'm mostly kidding)
Chocolate from German speaking countries
Gary Lezak's weather forecast
Waldo Pizza
Prospero's Bookstore for my used pulp fiction jags
Barnes and Noble on the Plaza for other bookly needs
Governor Stumpy's Ragin' Cajun Chicken Salad
Linen N Things for sheets/towels
Leggs Sheer Energy pantyhose
Bath and Bodyworks Juniper Breeze lotion (damn them for discontinuing it. God Bless Ebay!)
Elmer's Glue
On the Border medium Salsa/Chips

I'm sure this is an incomplete list, but it'll work for now...

Maybe I'm just getting set in my ways, maybe I am more susceptible to brand loyalty as a marketer. But there are just some things I shouldn't stray from. Alas, I've learned my lesson the hard way.

3 comments:

kcmeesha said...

gates sucks, QT gas comes out of the same hose as the rest of them,books online only, but I am with you on the Daily Show and pantyhose:-)

Hey There! I'm Amanda! said...

diet coke
Minsky's
oreos
Blue Koi dumplings
Preference hair color
and I am with you on the Colorstay-that stuff is liquid gold...

Well Hell Michelle said...

Pantyhose? I'm pretty sure I don't own any :)